Applying makeup in dark spaces, without a good dose of natural lighting, or without the proper tools can make your face appear heavy, uneven and splotchy. Not to mention the appearance of those random not-so-wanted eyebrow hairs that appear out of nowhere right after you’ve plucked. These eyebrow hairs aren’t always “just popping up,” though, you most likely just can’t see them.
Thankfully, lighted makeup mirrors can illuminate all of those hard-to-see places and magnify every single pore on your face. This means that, with the help of these mirrors, you can clean, pluck, wax and beautify your face better than you ever have before. Here is an informative buying guide for your perusal.
What is the best lighted makeup mirror you ask? Check out our best rated lighted makeup mirror reviews here.
Compare Lighted Makeup Mirrors
Upper West LED
What is a Lighted Makeup Mirror?
What exactly is a lighted makeup mirror and how is it any different from a standard mirror? LM mirrors are two-sided high-resolution mirrors. One side of the mirror offers a standard, non-distorted perception while the flip side offers a close-up and zoomed in view for finer details and more precision.
An LM mirror was designed specifically with your beauty needs in mind. For this reason, makeup mirrors are equipped with a variety of different light settings, giving you as much or as little transparency as you’d like. Lighting replicates, to the best of it’s ability, natural outdoor lighting.
Tapping the mirror (either on the base or directly on the glass) allows you to adjust the light settings so you can choose what environment you want to apply makeup in.
How Does a Lighted Makeup Mirror Work?
Most modern-day makeup mirrors are touch screen and power sourced via batteries or an electrical outlet, however, some lighted makeup mirrors are sensory driven and will turn on when you sit down in front of it, just like a faucet gives water when you put your hand beneath it.
Using the mirror is easy and uncomplicated. Simply plug it in, turn it on and adjust the brightness of the mirror using the appropriate light functions. Choose between basic magnification (1X) or a higher form of magnification(5X or 10X) for more detailed applications. Then get to work on beautifying yourself. Apply makeup, pluck and shape your brows, detail your eyes and get gorgeous!
Don’t Try This at Home!
Pros and cons of a Lighted Makeup Mirror
There are endless benefits to using an LM mirror. But if you’ve never sat before a makeup mirror, you wouldn’t know. Here’s what you’re missing and why a lighted makeup mirror could change the way you see yourself (quite literally!) and how you start your day or head off into that exciting evening with friends.
- Provides better and brighter lighting to see in normally dark or unnaturally lit rooms and small spaces.
- Some can be used for travel and are easy to transport.
- Magnifies every pore and hair follicle of the face so that you can pay closer attention to every minute detail.
- Adjustable so that you can chose the exact angle and mode of lighting that works best for you.
- Lighted makeup mirrors magnify up to 10X the actual amount meaning that you get up close and personal with every flaw your face has to offer.
- Sometimes give off a distorted or warped facial appearance when used to closely.
Buying Tips for Choosing a Lighted Makeup Mirror
Before venturing out to buy a lighted makeup mirror, be sure to know exactly what you’re looking for. When deciding on which LM mirror would be best for your, there are a few things to consider:
- The type of bulb
- The size of the mirror
- Magnification capabilities
The bulb is one of the most important factors of deciding which type of makeup mirror to buy. Why is that?
Put simply, different types of bulbs will emit different types of light. You know how everything, including yourself, looks better in candlelight than say, beneath a fluorescent bathroom light? That’s because candles emit a yellow and off-white light, which is forgiving and easily covers up imperfections and flaws. This is great, but not when it comes to makeup.
Stick with bright, white lights. And if you’re looking to save money in the long run, go with an LED light.
Perks of an LED Light
Most lighted makeup mirrors will feature an incandescent bulb that emits a fluorescent type of light. Since fluorescent lights are cheaper to produce than LED lights are, it’s no wonder that manufacturers are using them.
While these raw and intense fluorescent lighting types are great for makeup mirrors because they literally “bring everything to light” and leave nothing hidden…
incandescent lighting isn’t the most earth-friendly option.
Check out these quick facts about LED lights from a recent New York Times as you ponder which type of LM mirror is best for you.
LED lights will cost you more up front. They’re roughly 2 to 3 times more expensive than regular bulbs.
However, they’re totally worth it.
- An LED light bulb will live roughly 40% longer than other incandescent bulbs.
- LED lights will reduce the cost of your annual electricity bill by 10 to 20%, and sometimes more.
- LED lights are power-saving and longer-lasting.
- LED lights are an overall better choice for the environment
And, what’s even better, is that they’re great lights for makeup mirrors because they emit white light.
You’ll also want to consider the light’s magnification properties. A mirror with 5X magnification properties is a great place to start. This allows you to relax into the finer details of beautifying yourself like applying lip liner or detailing your brows.
More food for thought before purchasing a lighted makeup mirror. Consider the location of where you want to use your light (i.e. at home, in the car, at work, on the go). This will determine the size you buy. Smaller lights are more portable, larger lights will sit nicely on your vanity or in the bathroom at home, etc.
Finally, you’ll want to consider the cost of the mirror. Generally speaking, a more expensive makeup mirror will provide better quality, however, this isn’t always entirely true. Your budget will, to an extent, determine which type of lighted makeup light you’ll purchase.
Our Top Rated Lighted Makeup Mirror Reviews!
Jerdon Tri-Fold Two-Sided Lighted Makeup Mirror
Our Best Rated Lighted Makeup Mirror
Although the others come very close, this is in our opinion the best lighted makeup mirror. The Jerdon Tri-Fold Makeup Mirror features an adjustable backstand that offers 11 different viewing angles and a center mirror that swivels, offering 1X or 5X magnification. It is equipped with 4 different color-corrected lighting to simulate natural daytime, evening, home and office environments.
The Jerdon features a built-in 120 watt electrical outlet to plug in your curling iron, straightener or other styling needs. The entire unit folds flat for storage and neatly packs away for an easy on-the-go solution for your makeup needs.
- Features non-warming fluorescent lighting so that you don’t overheat or sweat while applying your makeup.
- Glare free, providing a sharp and accurate picture.
- Tubular lights tend to burn out quickly and don’t last very long.
- The 5X micro-magnification settings tends to distort facial features.
Ovente 9.5 inch LED Lighted Wall Mount Makeup Mirror
The Ovente comes in second on our list for the best lighted magnifying makeup mirror.
Adjust the brightness to fit your desired lighting needs by turning a simple knob. Lighting can be warm to incandescent and illuminates all of those hard-to-see spaces like beneath the brow and beneath the jaw line.
This Ovente LED mirror is wall-mounted allowing you to stand or sit comfortably in place and extend the arm directly towards you. When you’re done, it packs up nice and compact against the wall for a minimalist and clutter-free feel.
Enjoy a super close-up look with 10X magnification qualities or keep it basic with 1X zoom.
- Dual power and voltage options allows you to plug in or use batteries for a cordless and clutter-free cosmetic experience.
- 10X magnification allows for the ultimate up-close and detailing.
- Sturdy and sleek design make for an attractive and durable addition to your cosmetic routine.
- The 10x magnification side is concave, causing the focal area to be very small and difficult to use.
- Magnification causes distortion in appearance and is occasionally “blurry.”
Conair Oval Double-Sided Lighted Mirror
The Conair Oval Double-Sided Lighted Mirror features a double-sided well-lit mirror with an elegant oval design. It’s minimalist shape and beautiful bronze color make a great addition to any vanity or bathroom sink and it’s size is compact and easy for packing or permanent set ups.
The Conair Oval Mirror has a basic 1X magnification setting for makeup application as well as a 7X magnification setting for plucking those hard-to-see hairs. It features a fog-free mirror which allows you to get close without fogging up the glass and putting a pause in your makeup routine.
- The power cord is 60 inches long, allowing you to move freely in a crowded bathroom space.
- Elegant and attractive in appearance.
- This mirror weighs 2.6 pounds, making it slightly cumbersome and heavy for travel.
- This mirror uses a rare bulb making it harder to replace.
- There is no way to adjust the light which makes it a bit dark if there is no additional overhead lighting. You can, however, use this more easily found bulb: GE Clear Night Light Candelabra Base 4 Watt C7 Bulb.
Upper West Collection LED Lighted Makeup Mirror
The Upper West Collection LED Lighted Makeup Mirror features a diffused and tap-lit LED light for a clear, vivid and accurate image. This LED is guaranteed to last longer than any other light bulb (up to 50,000 hours) and offers a natural, non-harsh lighting. 1X and 7X magnification options are offered.
It features a unique flexible arm and suction method, making it easy to put up and take down anywhere on your bathroom mirror. A fluid, 360 degree swivel rotation mirror allows you to get a glimpse of your face from every angle. This mirror is cordless, wireless and collapsible making it easy to put away, use and take with you.
- This mirror is foldable and compactable for easy on-the-go trips and adventures.
- Great for removing hard-to-see unwanted eyebrow, facial and chin hairs.
- Easy to put up and take down suction cup; to remove, simply twist the suction mechanism and pull on the suction tab.
- Batteries only last 6 to 9 months.
- Suction cup technology is nice but isn’t perfect. Sometimes the mirror slides slowly down the mirror and sometimes, especially after a long and hot shower, the mirror can fall off entirely.
Claydore’s Wireless Touch Activated LED Lighted Makeup Mirror
Claydore’s Wireless Touch Activated Makeup Mirror features softly-diffused LED lighting for a clear but gentle illumination. With this carefully calibrated mirror you can take care of all of your cosmetic needs without straining your eyes from squinting or your neck from leaning into to far.
This wireless light doesn’t rely on outlets making it suitable for your travel and everyday needs. It also comes with a padded carrier bag so that you can keep the mirror safe from damage, cracks and scratches. It’s easily transportable, affordable and attaches easily to most hard surfaces, such as: glass, acrylic, marble and other mirrors.
This Claydore is fog-free, sleek, and slender offering great options for both practical and aesthetic purposes. I think it’s the best LED lighted makeup mirror and I take mine everywhere!
- The image is clear and is not distorted like many other magnifying mirrors.
- The mirror is easily transportable and fits well in office bags, gym bags and school bags.
- The suction mechanism is easily set up and taken down; it also holds very well.
- Comes with a padded carrier bag
- The touch-light activation is easily bumped and, therefore, accidentally turned on during transportation. This could prematurely exhaust the batteries.
- It doesn’t have a normal sized mirror; it only features a 7X magnification side.
Using a lighted makeup mirror can make a world of difference in your daily makeup applications. It allows you to more closely zoom into and magnify your facial features for fine-tuned detailing and specifics.
One final tip of recommendation: For best results when using your lighted makeup mirror, try keeping your face about 4 inches from the mirror. This will reduce the chance of your face appearing “distorted” in the magnification process.
Considering the five factors before purchasing a lighted makeup mirror: the type of bulb, the size of the mirror, its magnification capabilities, portability, and cost. Then choose a model that seems like a good fit for you. Illuminate those hard-to-see places, lean in and get to work with creating a beautiful face for your normal day at work or your next big event.