In the warm months, you’ve got humidity and sun exposure to thank for those fly-aways and frizz. During the cold months, it’s static electricity, split ends and dryness. For whatever reason, many of us are looking for a solution for untamed, frizzy hair. You can take solace in the fact that you are not alone. Frizzy hair is natural.
Not that there is anything wrong with a wild do when we’re feeling a little adventurous. But the sleek look is in, and don’t we all love it? But how to get it? Hair straighteners should be a staple in everyone’s vanity. Different hair types require different irons. Here is a buying guide to help you decide which is the best hair straightener for your hair, or take a look at our flat iron reviews for more information.
COMPARE FLAT IRONS
What is a hair straightener?
Using a hair straightener, you can achieve straighter, shinier, smoother locks. It works much like a curling iron, but uses a flat plate that heats to a high temperature to get the desired look. It can interchangeably be called a flat iron.
Depending on the model you purchase, flat irons can also be used to style and curl the hair, while smoothing at the same time using infrared and negative ion technology. Negative ions make the process of hair straightening longer lasting and less damaging. Infrared heat penetrates deep into the hair cuticle, heating from the inside out more efficiently and evenly.
How does a hair straightener work?
Pros and Cons of a Hair Straightener
- Frizz reduction – Uses heat technology to smooth out frizzy hair and add shine. Looks and feels great. Can eliminate static.
- Quick way to straighten and/or style hair – Most straightening devices heat up very quickly and evenly.
- Hair straighteners are not only for straightening – Many different styles can be achieved in a short time such as crimping and curling. They also work great on bangs.
- Affordable alternative to going to a hair salon – Wide price range.
- Flat irons are not a permanent solution to straightening curly or wavy hair – Like using a curling iron, the style only lasts temporarily.
- Repeated use can cause hair to become dry and damaged – It’s best used in moderation. However, the better quality the hair straightener is, the less damage will be done.
Plate Material: Ceramic vs. Tourmaline vs. Titanium
What is the best flat iron for your hair type?
Another feature you may want to consider is temperature settings. Make sure your hair straightener has an appropriate temperature setting for your hair type.
Thin hair = lower temperatures. Thick hair = higher temperatures.
Thick hair should be able to handle temperatures above 360 degrees Fahrenheit. For thin or normal hair, the ideal temperature setting is up to 360 degrees Fahrenheit. If it is very fragile and thin, it is safest to stay below 250 degrees Fahrenheit. This of course can be adjusted to your preference once you have experience, but it is best to follow the recommended temperatures.
Top 5 Flat Iron Reviews
ISA Professional Victorya Flat Iron Hair Straightener Tourmaline Ceramic Plates
ISA Professional’s Victorya hair straightener offers outstanding value for money. It’s my first choice for best flat iron.
The plates are made of 100% tourmaline ceramic which enables them to transfer heat quickly and evenly.
One of this hair straightener’s most unique features is the Smart technology temperature control. The temperature will automatically adjust based on your hair’s thickness, texture, etc. Not only can you beautifully straighten and add shine to your hair, with it’s unique design you can add curls or waves. In my opinion, it’s the best flat iron on the market.
- Suitable for both right-handed and left-handed users
- Ergonomic design
- Has a 360 degree swivel cord
- Universal Voltage
- Does not have automatic shut-off
- If you like to control the temperature of your hair straightener, you may not like the Smart Temperature Technology
PROFESSIONAL FLAT IRON by Jolie Amour – Salon Grade HAIR STRAIGHTENER
Jolie Amour’s professional flat iron has a temperature control range of 180° to 450° which makes it great for all hair types. The ceramic plates are 1.25″ which provides excellent coverage.
Where this flat iron rises above our other top picks is the lifetime warranty. As long as you remember to register once you purchase, you’ve got some peace of mind.
- Comes in a designer gift box
- Best professional flat iron warranty out of my top 5
- You can also use it to style your hair with curls, waves, etc.
- Dual Voltage
- Does not have auto shut-off
- Temperature dial is slightly difficult to read
HD Professional 1.25″ Advanced Ionic Tourmaline Hybrid Flattening Iron
The HD Professional Hybrid iron has advanced, floating ceramic tourmaline plates that heat up very quickly using hybrid digital/analog technology. The unique floating plates make it easier for you to smooth over your hair without snagging.
The wide range in temperature makes it suitable for all hair types. No need to worry about forgetting to turn off your iron when you walk out the door. There is an auto shut-off feature that turns the device off after 60 minutes.
- 360° swivel cord
- Auto shut-off feature
- Suitable for all hair types
- Pricier than other flat irons
- The wider plates make it a bit more difficult for short hair
- Does not have Universal Voltage
CHI PRO G2 Digital Titanium Infused Ceramic Flat Iron
CHI’s innovative technology makes this flat iron #4 in my choice for top flat irons. Featuring a new sleeker, modern design, the CHI G2 does not disappoint when it comes to the look or performance. It’s no wonder that CHI is a trusted name in the area of hair straighteners. You can quickly and efficiently add gorgeous shine and smoothness to your hair in a short period of time.
The color-coded temperature controls make it simple to choose heat settings based on hair texture on an LCD screen:
Green = 370 degrees for fine hair
Blue = 395 degrees for medium and wavy hair
Red = 425 degrees for coarse hair
- 40 second heat up time
- Comes with a heat-resistant wrap
- Plates have curved edges to glide through hair with ease
- Dual Voltage
- No auto shut-off
HSI Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron
This HSI professional flat iron is popular for a reason. It’s 100% ceramic tourmaline floating plates adjust to your hair’s thickness. You can easily style your hair with flips and curls or straighten for the sleek look.
It boasts advanced infrared technology that heats up and penetrates hair quickly and efficiently. Not to mention the fact that it comes with a heat glove, argan oil leave-in conditioner and a heat pouch for storage. Who doesn’t like extras?
- Easy to use
- High quality
- Dual Voltage
- No auto shut-off
As you can see, there are many quality hair straighteners out there for you to choose from. I’ve briefly described my 5 top rated hair straighteners to make your next purchase a little easier on you. With the ISA Professional Victorya being my #1 choice for best straightener based on its abundance of features, high quality and innovative technology.
You are now more likely to be confident and knowledgeable when it comes to making a decision about which hair straightener is best for you. Keep in mind, as with most products the more money you are willing to spend, the better quality it will be and the more features it will have.